Sunday, February 25, 2007

Selecting colours

is not easy and I am justified in being flummoxed over the subject. Looking at hanks of dyed yarn will not give you the faintest clue of how that shade of ochre will contrast against a shade of blue. And if purple will fit into the picture at all when you want to keep the look sedate.

A shade card isn't going to help you much either. I am particularly wary of the ones that indicate 2-colour/3-colour combinations based on color theory. If you ask me, that limits your creativity and makes your product look very similar to many others, simply because of the 'standard' combination you went with.

I am not sure why this never occurred to me earlier. I was walking through the aisles at Stitches and the brainwave hit me - watercolours. Why not use watercolours as a tool to indicate how the colours will work with each other? And what percentage of the knit fabric to knit in what colour to keep the look balanced. So this is what I'm going to try in 2007. Carefully plan my projects and incorporate colours in the 'blueprint'. Then proceed to place online orders. I like this idea.

No comments: