Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Piggles

More caps! :) They're quick, easy, and utilitarian. Oh, and addictive owing to the instant gratification. Also, they're awesome projects to try out new techniques on - perhaps stitch patterns, colour stranding, mosaic knitting, and double knitting. The piggle is charged guilty of tempting me into the realm of knitting caps.

Psst: does anyone know the technical difference between a cap and a hat? I thought I knew but that was before I came to this country. Out here it's understood differently - I can sense it but not put my finger on it.

Getting back to my new products, the little yellow one has the port-holes for pony tails. I ran out of the lovely coloured yarn and had to compensate for the height of the piggle with a pom-pom. Thank you L. Chatterjee B. for suggesting the contrasting shade *and* the pompom for effect!


Here it is, perched on my speaker:


And below is the larger one with no port-holes. This does seem a touch bigger than my niece's head-circumference (I won't know exactly yet though) but I'll go with the pattern's claim that it is designed to fit all sizes, from toddler to adult.


I used worsted weight 'affordable' yarn. I tried, the caps are comfy against the skin despite one being 100% acrylic and the other about 70% or so.

I cast on 65 stitches for the yellow cap and 90 for the blue. My stitch gauge (5 stitches and 6 rows per square inch) was considerably different than the one in the pattern.

So finally the postal package will be mailed out to my sis. It'll carry 2 caps, 2 tops (all handknit) and some scrapbooking paper for the grrlz.

A note on lace - folks with tendinitis and CT will do better with lace knitting eliminated from their projects. Mine was slightly aggravated by these stitch pattern repeats and I can only imagine the impact full-fledged lace can have.

2 comments:

AuntieAnn said...

Those are very cute! And thanks for the cautionary words about lace.

Migrating Thoughts - Ramblings of a Mind said...

Hey Deepa!

You've been tagged! Waiting to see ur tag responses..

btw, Nice beanies:)