Monday, February 12, 2007

All set for a ski trip



V, this is for you. To match (or rather contrast) my chullo.

Here is an update with pattern details:
Source: No-Rib Ski Hat
This pattern is written for the knitting machine. All you'd need to do is translate the knitting language into the handknitting one. It's simple enough. The band around the ears is double layered. My interpretation of the pattern went thus: Start with provisional cast on (I used crochet for the purpose) and knit even in the round. Once knit twice the length of the hat band, fold over, carefully remove the crochet and and pull each loop from the MC cast on through the live stitches. The cast on stitches now become live and the hat band will be double layered, all closed up. Now on, it's simple enough - follow some stitch pattern or colour work pattern, decrease as required and pull yarn through the last few stitches to finish up.
Makes for a dependable hat recipe.

I cast on 87 stitches, just as in the pattern because for once, my gauge nearly matched. And have you noticed, knit caps/hats are very forgiving in the matters of the circumference.

For the knit-curious, I'm updating with a new pic of the stranding. You'll notice full weaving of floats:


Video tutorial on the technique here.

5 comments:

AuntieAnn said...

Happy skiing! Nice hats, too. Have fun!

Migrating Thoughts - Ramblings of a Mind said...

Nice ones deepa!! Maybe i sud sit with u for a couple days then i can get the hang of knitting... ur really good..:)

AuntieAnn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AuntieAnn said...

Oh, and thank you for the compliment on the Best Friend bag -- I must admit I was rather pleased with how that came out. And that I had someone to give it to who would actually have occasion to use it, unlike myself.

Vikas Dhurka said...

Thanks dear...

The cap has turned out nice.. Can't wait to try it on.

-V