Friday, April 22, 2011

Neck-Turtle


I was in Vancouver last November. The snow, the coffee, more snow and oh the coffee - I had to knit, darn it! I located an LYS, bought some yarn and a circular needle and knit this up free-form, with no notions whatsoever, not even tape measure. I loved this project every stitch of the way; it completed my picture: snow, coffee and knitting. Perfect!

Recipe
This project is knit top-down, flat and seamed in the end. Check the gauge on a swatch of 2x2 ribbing. Cast on enough stitches so when the ribbing is relaxed, the total width is 10 inches. It should stretch to over twice that for it to accommodate the head circumference while wearing it.

My pattern has 3 rib columns create a single section that is repeated around for symmetry. So my CO number of stitches is a multiple of 6.

Knit 2x2 ribbing. Continue for 5 inches. Start the increasing. I used cable cross-overs to add interest while increasing with yarn overs and make one stitches. The key is to repeat the pattern in sections around.

Continue increasing over the next 3-5 inches depending on the length you need. Picot bind off adds a ruffle-like finish.

No comments: