Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A knitter is desperate when..

1. she derives inspiration from a pattern meant for a 1 year old.

2. she sits up till 1:42AM to complete knitting AND weaving in the ends of the project. Despite, is not able to sleep before blogging about it.

3. she throws caution to wind and purchases woolease (lion brand) just coz she's too restless to launch the project

4. she knits swatches that are complete products in themselves

Psst: what you're seeing above is a perfectly usable cozy for my glass.

5. she dives into the deep end of a shark-infested pool by buying 1500% acrylic (tell ya, way too acrylic than just 100%) boucle to be the contrast yarn. If that's not dangerous enough, she knits using double-strands of the main color (woolease) and this God-forsaken boucle into a fair-isle pattern. Ok, if you don't know how horrible a choice this is, let me tell you, you're better off not knowing. To her defense, the poor knitter has only this: "I needed yarn quick and I needed very specific colors. I got desperate" Do you not feel for her? Poor soul knew not better.

6. she gets more excited about knitting ski caps than the trip they were intended for. And feels not an iota wistful when the aforementioned ski vacation gets cancelled. :)

And when a knitter gets as desperate as outlined above, she would have created this:


Perched atop a table lamp is my labor of love (err.... desperation?) . Fits just as I wanted it to - snug, as a ski hat should be. The ear flaps are as effective folded and tucked back in as they are hanging loose (shown in pic). The fair isle color stranding makes those segments extra-thick and consequently extra-warm. It's so soft, squishy and warm that had I a cat, she'd have made this hat her permanent residence. :)

Allow me to name my hat. I'm going to call it 'lemony lime'. Oh, and if this were published by Knitty, would they tag this pattern 'tangy'? Hahaha!!

No comments: