Sunday, January 07, 2007

Lovely Variegated Yarn..

how I loveth hateth loveth hateth thee!

I'm a little frustrated. I'm forcing stitch patterns on a VY. Now you know why.

I'm trying, I am! My Vogue Knitting Stitchionary (vol 1) is witness to my patience, determination and perseverance. The many swatches lying astray are proof of the endeavor.

I adore the yarn itself. I have a hank of the most gorgeous hand-dyed cotton. It's playful, unpredictable, whimsical and generally NICE.

I struck gold with the seafoam stitch and a vertical version of it. I need more though. I'm not into stockinette and I don't want to venture into ribbing. Both options will have me zzz before the 2nd row of the vest I'm knitting. I also want to achieve whimsy using the stitches coz the vest is for a little girl.

It's been an interesting experiment, I must admit. One year into full-fledged knitting, I'm still amazed by the properties of yarn. It's quite freaky how each one clearly draws lines on what will look good on it and what won't. A mind of its own, no?

I'm tad wiser with VY now than when I started. Judiciously placed eyelets, dropped stitches, floats, rows of garter between rows of pattern - these work better than vines, trellis, smock, weave, brocade, cable, and herringbone to mention a few. Get the eye to follow the colors changing and the stitch will show through. It just so happens that the stuff that works is mostly horizontally aligned.

My New Year resolution? That's simple. Buy yarn and please, no VY.

No comments: