Wednesday, January 24, 2007

When swatches become art

If you've read this, you'll know already that I had just so recently busted my backside over some particularly elusive design decisions. Like all noble knitting, the process involved studying stitch patterns and swatching them, in relentless pursuit of the one that would enhance the variegatedness of my yarn rather than fight it. What follows is some documentation of the work.

The decision is still not made. I need a stitch pattern that will go over the maximum %age of surface of the vest. I need a pattern that won't look make the vest boxy. I need one that will have the eye move from one colour to another without it appearing conflicting or too busy.

Scroll down for my picks.

Reference material used:
[1] Vogue knitting stitchionary
[2] 1000 Sweaters


Swatch #1 above has 8 stitch patterns tested on it. From lowest to highest, in order, the stitch patterns are:
1. Peruvian Lace (#232 from [1])
2. Simple eyelets
3. Eyelet herringbone (#46 from [1])
4. Diagonal float stitch (#53 from [1])
5. Simple eyelet diamonds (#73 from [1])
6. Eyelet ridges (#72 from [1])
7. Dropstitch row
8. Stitch pattern from 'Textured Sweater' pattern (Body 20 from [2])


Swatch #2 above has 5 stitch patterns tested on it. From lowest to highest, in order, the stitch patterns are:
1. Zigzag rib (#79 from [1])
2. Dropstitch pattern (#80 from [1])
3. Ladder and rib (#211 from [1])
4. Dimples (#58 from [1])
5. Small herringbone rib (#67 from [1])

I find the diagonal float stitch (swatch #1, pattern 4) and dimples (swatch #2, pattern 4) the most appealing.

1 comment:

AuntieAnn said...

You're right, these do look somewhat similar to my sock swatch!