Saturday, June 17, 2006

Peaches and Cream Pinafore

I made good progress with one of my WIPs last night knitting and playing friendly poker among buddies. The big idea was to inspire them to learn knitting but as a convenient side-effect, I finished the second half of Anouk. This morning, I knit the neck band, wove in ends, sewed on wood buttons, knit the pocket in intarsia and crocheted around the neck band and the pocket. Phew! That's a lot of work for a dress for an infant. I enjoyed every bit of it and quite like the final look.







Project details follow:
Pattern: Knitty's Anouk

Yarn:

MC peach: TLC cotton plus worsted weight, 51% cotton, 49% acrylic 'tangerine'.
CC1 cream: Valley Yarns Longmeadow 60% cotton, 40% microfiber 'Natural'
CC2 green: Valley Yarns Longmeadow 60% cotton, 40% microfiber 'Olive'
Gauge: 4 stitches and 5 rows per 1"x1" square
Needles: US size 8

Alteration: I mattress stitched the sides waist down. I attached a second button on the right shoulder for the symmetry, although only the left shoulder opens, just as in pattern. I omitted the side tabs and attached only 1 pocket instead of 2.

What I might want to change the next time I knit this: use a lighter weight yarn for the MC and one with very little or no acrylic. TCL cotton plus just is wee bit heavy. I rather like the cotton-microfiber blend from Valley Yarns and I just might knit the entire garment with this.

What I like about this pattern: the 'grow-as-you-go' design, and the button on the shoulder giving the mom less grief while putting it on a wriggly baby. I also love the flower on the pocket - isn't that adorable?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for granting my wish so quickly, gambler!:) It's beautiful! And love the sides, usually neglected but you have made them into the focus almost! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Deepa,
very cute dress.
Looking at this and the rest of your collection, you make it seem *almost* easy!

-lipika