Sunday, March 04, 2007

Sneak Peek at my pattern-making

'Cardi-3D' - It's what I'm calling my interpretation of EZ's Baby Surprise Jacket. The beauty of it is in the unique 3 dimensional knitting where you sculpt out the garment as you knit.

I have not yet read the original design but I am most certain that despite similar geometry, it has none of the cleverness that is EZ trademark.

I spent a good part of the day today developing a calculator for my recipe in PERL. User provides desired dimensions of the finished cardi and the stitch gauge. The formulas I developed converts this into complete knitting instructions and prints it out.

Here's a preview. The attributes listed below are stitch counts that are derived from user-given dimensions and the gauge:

-------------------------8<--------------------------------------


sleeve (X) = 36;
jwidth (W) = 90;
nwidth (N) = 30;
ndepth (D) = 13;
pwidth (P) = 6;
jlength(L) = 180;

|<---------------- Y ----------------->|
|<------- W ------->|
|<--- N --->|
|<-X/2->| <-P->
- +--------.---n---p----p--n----.--------+ - -
^ | \ | | / | D ^
| | \ n........]..n / | - |
| | \ [ ] / | |
X | \ [ ] / | |
| +--------| [ ] | | |
| | | \ [ ] / | | |
| | | \ [ ] / | | |
| | | \ [ ] / | | |
v | | [ ] | | |
- +........| [ ] |........+
| [ ] | L
| [ ] |
|........ ].......| |
| \ ] | |
| \ ] | v
========[====]======== -




------------------------->8--------------------------------------

The script has been tested for accuracy. I will now proceed to knit out larger samples using the numbers derived from this tool and keep you posted.

1 comment:

AuntieAnn said...

My goodness. Clearly you are the one I should have asked when I had trouble with the Widdershins heel.