Saturday, March 25, 2006

Done!!


The vest is complete! I am aghast coz knitting sweaters that are actually wearable was - in my mind - as close to impossible as anthing could get. First, the time involved. I'd expected the project to languish for months and months and months before it saw itself to the finish line. And second, the proportions coming together into a garment that looks finished and professional. 'Finish' is the keyword, whichever way you look at it.

It took me close to 4 weeks with only an hour each weekday and some stretches of time over weekends. What helped me along the way? Topping the list is the gauge. This allowed me to plan the yarn yardage so I could use the contrast colour to fill in for the deficit. As important was my comfort in resizing the instructions to the need of the recipient. Some prior practice on this subject matter (the tank top for my niece) came very handy.

I am most comfortable using a customized set of instructions to suit my requirement. I break down the pattern into sections. Once I get to the ratios of proportions used, I then transform the block pattern into redesigned instructions for my own use. I am *so* proud of this, I tell ya.

I learnt a few important lessons. Once knit, some yarns result in drapey knit fabrics and others, kinda stiff and unyielding. Knitting the vest revealed this to me. This is an added factor to consider while selecting yarns for any project - if there already weren't enough to drive me bats!! :)

Getting back to the vest, I'm just beside myself in joy at how neat the neckline looks. Here's a picture before the ends were woven in (just to prove that it was really me who'd knit it):

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks terrific!!! nee