Sunday, August 06, 2006

Microsoft's MeTooooo

Folks, have you downloaded the free version 7 of Microsoft's IE? I finally got around to installing it a few days back.

For the effort, I got this:
- tabbed browing
- integrated search field

err.. yeah, that's it. Hooboy, what was I expecting?!

Some features of firefox I'm hooked to:
- Folders in the 'links' bar which I can right click and select to be opened in tabs. (IE has no such feature)
- CTRL+L selecting the URL field (IE brings up a dialog box - aarrgh)
- CTRL+F shows up a little field attached to the browser, at the very bottom (IE brings up a dialog box - aaargh)
- characters are searched just as soon as I start typing. (IE has no such feature)
- the unbeatable firefox extensions. Most favorite: del.icio.us tagging extension. (IE has no such feature)

So Microsoft's attempt at a 'metoooo' falls short by far. Get firefox folks. If you so want a link opened in IE, there's an extension that lets you open an IE tab from within a firefox browser. How neat is that!

3 comments:

AuntieAnn said...

Not to mention that IE keeps crashing on me (I must admit I don't have the most recent version, perhaps it has become more stable). A few things I still need IE for -- a few of my bookmarks won't autofill in Firefox for some reason, and the program that lets me view my e-mail on my "remote" desktop when Outlook is running on my "server" desktop.

AuntieAnn said...

Deepa, where have you been? I miss your unique take on knitting.

Deepa said...

Thanks so much for pinging. Will be back soon into the knitting world!