Sunday, August 06, 2006

Dirty little secret

I have been pondering over how readily knitters and spinners in the States exchange information, share their inventive techniques and help each other along in the process of learning. The picture painted is very rosy. Everybody is in love with the craft, with the materials, with the social extensions of the craft such as social knitting or knitting for charity, with the taking of classes, with the related online world of patterns and yarn purchases and blogging and podcasting, with yarn fairs and fiber conventions - I could go on. Knitty love is in the air.

This is all perfect. Except, it isn't a fair picture. Doesn't anyone endure muscle/tendon/nerve issues with the repetitive motion? Many of us work on computers and this, along with knitting is a potent combination of repetitive strain. Why then, do I hear so little discussed about this? Why isn't this information shared in the same way? Is rapid knitting really a virtue? Are knitters out there trying to achieve/break the record and injuring themselves?

I have been knitting for about 9 months now and just like anyone out there, I am passionately into it. It took me squarely 3 months to get to the point of so much pain that I had to get medically treated. Since then, I have looked up online and at knitting conventions for information. Knitty has an article on posture (which I have listed in my side bar) and in all of Stitches West, I found one product alone relating to injuries. It was a hand glove and really, it's not a knitting-specific product.

There is a ton of information on computer related RSI (repetitive strain injury) and so very little on knitting. And you cannot really use the former to help the latter coz the requirement of working needles and yarn is very different from tapping keys or clicking mice. Is this our dirty little secret? Are we too afraid that we'll be asked to stop pursuing the hobby if we admit to this problem? What is it? Why aren't we screaming out loud for some information?? Or sharing it vociferously? I am perplexed. No podcaster is talking about it, dammit!

As my contribution to bringing this to the table, in my future posts, I will detail out my experiences with the RSI issues I had to deal with and my findings from the process.

Please do leave a comment on what your thoughts are about the physical problems associated with passionate knitting.

1 comment:

AuntieAnn said...

As one who had RSI from work and recovered, I wish I had more insight -- my computer RSI pretty much cleared up when I got a job that permits me to work mostly from home (got away from my former co-workers), but I have to be careful not to over-do with my knitting or my tendinitis flares up. I try to remember to hold the needles loosely when I'm knitting, and sometimes trade off between Continental and Western for a change of style.