Sunday, July 09, 2006

What a week and a half!!

Wimbledon men's finals was nail biting. I was nervously working on my socks-on-2-circs endeavour, trying to channelize my irritation into creating something. Federer's victory seemed almost apologetic and really the hero in the match was Nadal. He made Federer sweat for the cup alright!

So getting back to my socks, I have a skeleton in the closet. Since then, I've learnt an immense lot on yarn, gauge, needles, techniques, stitch patterns. Heck! The number of cast on methods themselves can throw one in a tizzy, if one were to document all. So when I now took up socks, I did a lot more reading than usual and found this tutorial on knitting 2 socks simultaneously. Seriously, who wouldn't want to complete a pair together? And get them to match row-for-row in pattern and gauge. That's too much of a treat to pass by. I might be talking too soon though - I'm yet to get to the heel maneuver. Well anyway, I'm making a jaywalker pair for my mum-in-law who herself is a knitter. Now, do I need to declare that I love to sink my teeth into a juicy challenge? :)


The July 4th weekend warrants a mention here for many reasons. First, it was my birthday on the 4th. Has anyone noticed how the day of the birthday just flies by? Never mind that you're just lazing, doing nothing - which typically would end up a slow day - it just flies when it's a birthday. When one is already dazed about how quickly a year passed, the day tries to pull a practical joke on you. And gets the last laugh. This birthday, I had to mentally prepare myself for the new number corresponding to the 'Age' field in bureaucratic forms. I had to mentally prepare starting 3 months in advance. Sigh.

Move on girl! My team at work treated me to a Vietnamese feast on the Friday before the 4th. And on the 5th, more friends got together at work and suprised me with a birthday cake. My DH gifted me a stand mixer for my birthday - it had been on my wishlist for a long time. It was put to good use today, to make some whipped eggs for a scrumptuous omelette and also some dough for rotis. I'm a happy girl. Happy happy girl indeed!

3 comments:

MrsFife said...

Belated happy birthday!
Will you be using the stand grinder to wind your yarn as well as knead dough or do you already have a yarn winder?

AuntieAnn said...

Happy, happy birthday! Nice of them to put on those fireworks for you . . .

Deepa said...

A late reply to your comments - sooo sorry! Thank you for your wishes. :)

A yarn winder is on my wishlist and I'm hoping to find an affordable one when I travel to India. Fingers crossed. I have not used my stand mixer for the purpose - thanks for the idea. ;)