Saturday, May 27, 2006

A taste of cookie-cutter fashion

I ventured out today to shop for clothes. The expedition was marked by much walking (inside the store), much disappointment and a very (I can't stress it enough) occassional pick. From my most recent experience, here's some feedback to the designers of garments that line the many miles of clothes-racks at 'fashion' stores in the US:

1. All brown is not of uniform color value!! Let me explain: Brown although is one single color, it does have many shades and hues to it. So also pink. And orange. And every single color I found out there. So then, why did I not find the many shades/hues? Why ONLY 1!????? (Ok, I did see 2 different pinks but 2? That's no different from 1.)

2. 100% cotton is the best for Summer. Where is the cotton? I don't like/wear capris - but it just so happens that that is the only garment I find cotton being profusely used for. Why can't I see any with summer tops? Or skirts? or sun dresses dammit??!!

3. Back to color: Teal and brown. I'm literally nauseated by the combination after seeing so much of it. And if you understand point number 1, you'll also understand that one teal+brown is EVERY teal+brown! Other combinations I saw: hot/pale pink with beige, hot/pale pink with brown, teal with beige, beige with beige with beige, brown with brown with brown, beige and teal and brown and there stops the entire range of colour combination. Oh, I forget pink with orange. Don't get me wrong.. I have nothing against the colors themselves - I'm only concerned about the number of hours I spent at the store in order to find some color (value - to be precise here) not already in my closet.

4. Alright.. between turtle-neck/high-neck-collar and scoooooooooping necklines are modest necklines which show the neck and just a little more, enough to look feminine without having to reveal. Now ask me, how easy was it to find a piece that fit this bill? Take a wild guess.

5. Repeat after me: 'feminine does not have to mean frills. or gathers. or synthetic fabrics.' How I hate frills and gathers! An elegant tailored cut with soft drapey fabric - now *that* is feminine. And no, it does not have to be pastels or beige. No, does not have to be brown either.

I tell you knitters - if you're in a knitting slump, just take a hike to one of your favorite warehouse-style fashion houses. Avoid walking into any small retail store along the way - keep the focus. Spend a good few hours at the store and see how rejuvenated you feel about being able to knit your choice of colors, with your choice of yarn, to create your choice of drape, with your choice of pattern and - most importantly - your choice of neckline!

I'm all ready to cast on for a glowy 100% cotton summer top in a unique shade of pink. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's one shade of bright red + one shade of bright green and one shade of bright blue in the UK this summer!:) Somebody forgot these were primary colours for light and not dyes! Oh, do I miss the indian stores. Now that is what I call designer! Having to co-ordinate vests with tops to combat the plunging neck line... - Roops

Deepa said...

Goodness.. this is almost funny. Almost. It's only the memories of the 'hunt' that wipes the grin off my face!