Sunday, May 14, 2006

On a beautiful Sunday in Spring..

I saw some curious sights. A car driving down the road which got me..err.. curious and the bark of a tree that also got me curious (uhmm.. excuse my prolific vocabulary today - or the lack of it).









We barbecued - hurrayyyy. For all fellow-knitters who've also posted pictures of their weekend bbqs, I have only this to say: "Me tooooooooo...!!" We had endless skewers of veggies, mushrooms, and potatoes. We also had grilled burgers, asparagus and tandoori chicken on the grill. Yumm food and many friends - that's what I say makes for a beautiful Sunday in Spring. Do I hear 'touche'! :)

The remaining three artifacts need explaining. While sipping on some warm chai after the barbecue, I was knitting ofcourse. The ruffled scarf is made with short rows. It's a free pattern given by Knitting Arts. The yarn is just about perfect for the pattern and I'm enjoying knitting it even though I had sworn off scarves and shawls.

In the next picture is the fabric of the skirt I was wearing. Posting it here to comment on it's beauty. It's a block-printed (or wood-stamped) fabric that is hand-made in India. Paisleys and flowers are a common motif with these patterns. What I like here is how the subtle colours and the fading in and out of the orange shades enhances the beauty.

The very last picture is a really cute gift I got from my friend Janani. It's a green oil-lamp - a working miniature! It has a tank at the base where you fill kerosene and a thick wick that you move along with a knob at the side - just like the full-size ones. Isn't it so so SO CUTE!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The chimini is indeed cute!!:) Have you tried it with other oils? Roops

Deepa said...

Isn't it?! I'll first purchase extra wick before lighting it. :) Hmm... didn't think of the oil angle. Do you think it would have problems with non-kerosene oils? I hope not.

spinnity said...

Very cool looking BBQ, ruffle scarf and skirt. It's so wonderful to be able to eat outdoors again!

Anonymous said...

I am not sure the capillary action of other oils will be able to get up the upright wick. But worth a try. Worst that can happen is the wick burns itself off due to lack of fuel. So, extra wick is a good idea:)